Sunday, December 21, 2008

House Party in the Snow

Yesterday was the first work party to fix up our new house. Matt's parents, sister and brother-in-law and my sister all came over to help Matt work. Please note: I am 39 weeks pregnant so I was not able to work at the house. Everyone braved the frozen tundra that is Oregon to get here. It started snowing yesterday morning and snowed throughout the day. To all my Idaho friends, you may scoff at the reaction of Oregonians of receiving 6 inches of snow in one day, as Matt and I did, but it truly paralyzes the city! Plus, we don't just get snow here, but snow and half an inch or more of ice on top of the snow, which makes for terrifying driving and often times walking. But, it's beautiful to look at! I digress.
So, once the crew showed up, they were put to work ripping up all the carpet in the 1500 square foot house (a great room and 3 bedrooms). Also, every wall and ceiling in the house was bleached and will soon be primed before being painted. The previous owners did not take care of the house so there were many stains and questionable materials on the walls that needed to be cleaned off. Additionally, the wood stove that can be seen in some pictures was removed. Our plan is to purchase a more energy efficient wood stove and then move the location so it's not right in the middle of the room. I am so thankful, once again, to have our family so close and so willing to help us out! They put in a long day yesterday, full of not very much fun work. But the house already looks a lot better! Matt is working at the house today, again, and plans on going there every night this week. We're hoping by the end of the week to have the walls cleaned and primed.
Here are some before/during pictures of yesterday's progress.
The laundry/utility room.

The kitchen. Please note: the previous owners took some, not all, of the cupboard doors. It's a mystery....

Kitchen again. Lots of potential to make it beautiful!

Dining area at the end of the kitchen.

The great room. Yes, that is carpet that is terribly stained.

Other side of the great room.

Bathroom, with linen closet.

Bathroom vanity.

One of the rooms.

Another bedroom, with beautiful carpet.

The bedroom with the carpet gone.

Happy little worker!

With the carpet gone, the house already looks (and smells) a lot better!
Bleaching the walls.
I am very excited to get new carpet and paint...the house will look completely different! And, like someone cares about it. It will be fun to see the "after" pictures...hopefully we can post them soon!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, yucky carpet! But it's a cute house and once it's cleaned up, it looks like it will be awesome! 39 weeks? Sounds like you're just about ready to pop!

Katrina said...

I'm so glad you have lots of hard working help for your home project! I bet you were glad to see that baby blue carpet go out the door. :) It looks like the house has great bones, and I can't wait to see it after its magical transformation. (I am just in AWE of anyone who can do stuff like this. We're doing well to keep the light bulbs changed and the snow shoveled!)