Monday, November 3, 2008

Imitation = Flattery?

They say imitation is flattery. I guess it depends on what characteristic or action someone is imitating!

Pridefully, I can think of many of my characteristics Erika can imitate that would make me very happy. Maybe she could sit down and solve a complicated engineering problem. Or whip up some delicious cookies in the kitchen. Or demonstrate some early soccer skills. I would love for my daughter to imitate me in these ways.

But what has she decided to learn from me? How to pick up dog messes with a plastic bag. Lovely.

Our small rental house in Newberg does not have a yard for Wyatt to run around in so Erika and I take him on daily walks. Of course, walking a dog comes with the responsibility of cleaning up after him. For two months, Erika has watched me pick up after Wyatt almost daily. This is what she wants to learn from me. Not the educational, or homemaking, or athletic skills that I dreamed of. I guess there is still time to teach her those things. If she doesn't become too enraptured with this current skill she has.

2 comments:

Katrina said...

Hey, that's not so bad--now you have your own assistant pooper scooper. Maybe you could train her to take over some of the other less-than-fun chores around the house, like cleaning hair out of the tub drain or getting dust bunnies out from under the couch!

Unknown said...

But you can tell everyone that you taught your daughter social responsibility!